This course is for
Adult students of all ages (18 and above) who know the Hebrew alphabet
Course structure and goals
The beginners’ Yiddish course provides basic communication, comprehension and conversational skills as well as understanding grammatical rules, the ability to form sentences for basic needs such as traveling or conversing with Yiddish speakers. The course also provides a vocabulary of about 200 words including important verbs, such as modal verbs, numbers, family members, etc.
At the end of the course the student will
- Have a basic vocabulary of 300 common Yiddish words
- Know the basic paradigms of nouns and verbs
- Be able to understand and conduct simple conversations ,read basic texts
- Be on the way to reading classic Yiddish literature such as D. Bergelson, Y.L. Perets, I.B. Singer, Mendele Mocher Sforim.
- Know more about the original meaning of Yiddish stories and jokes
- Produce written texts, form sentences using phrases, idioms and proper grammatical structures
- Improve their ability to read Yiddish Text